Day 1: Travel: Leeds to Aberdeen (17/07/23)

If you have read the previous post, you will know how long this journey is. You can nearly get to Australia in the same amount of time - it is a long way. 

On Monday morning, I woke up in a panic at 4am. I thought I had overslept but I had plenty of time. It was, however, critical that I caught the 6.08 train to Leeds  My bags weighed 15kg which is nearly 2.5 stones, so I would need to set off early for the station, as it might take me longer to walk there carrying such a lot of extra weight.


I got on the train from Leeds to Aberdeen. This part of the trip would take me 6 hours. The train whizzed through lots of towns and cities, some I had visited many times, others that were new to me.  The East coast train line hugs the coast line so once we had passed Newcastle, I could often see the sea.

On the journey we crossed some famous bridges in Scotland: the Forth Rail Bridge. This bridge took eight years to build. 



The other bridge that is interesting is the Tay Bridge. It was completed in 1878 but something dreadful happened only a year after it was opened. It is known as the Tay Bridge disaster. Can you find out what happened? 

After 6 hours on the train, I boarded a ferry in Aberdeen. The ferry would take 11.5 hours and I really hoped the sea would be calm. As we left the harbour, I saw the lifeboat. I thought you must have sent  it out to me because you were worried about me going on the ferry after all your research about the Titanic. 



I was dissapointed not to see any dolphins while I was on the ferry but I did see lots of Gannets, Razorbills and puffins. I will send pictures of them later in the week.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8: Finding Shipwreck and Jellyfish on the Beach

Day 14: Packing and Party