Day 11: Tall Ships, Tall Tales and a Fish Supper

 Chris and I had planned a walk today, but when I returned from coffee with John and Dave, there was a note on the table in the croft which said 'GONE FISHING.' Chris had been invited by Steven, who owned the only fishing boat on the island, to go fishing with him and the opportunity was too good to miss. I will tell you what he caught later. 

As I had heard some of the tall ships from Lerwick were in the North Haven, I decided to do the walk as planned. Tall ships are traditionally rigged sailing vessels and are very impressive. The ships in the harbour are part of the tall ships race - you can see more pictures and a map of where they sail here 




This ship is called Trinovante - look this ship up

After a good look at the ships, I walked onto the headland called Bu Ness. There is a colony of Arctic Terns nesting hear as well as many Puffins. As I reached the top of the hill, I looked down to sheep rock and guess what I saw? 



Can you see that tiny dot in the sea? Let me give you a close up.


The person at the front of the boat is Chris and Steven is at the stern (or back) of the boat. It seemed such a small boat in a vast sea. I think the depth there was about 80m. They caught haddock, cod and Mackerel as well as pulling in lobster and crab pots. Chris even caught a spurdog; a type of shark .

I watched them for a while before walking back along the cliffs to the croft. I stopped on the watch a Bonxie. This time it was not at all interested in me, it just sat on a rock and cleaned its feathers.



When I go home, guess what I had for tea?


This is mackerel Chris caught fresh from the sea. It tasted amazing! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8: Finding Shipwreck and Jellyfish on the Beach

Day 14: Packing and Party

Day 1: Travel: Leeds to Aberdeen (17/07/23)